Monday, January 01, 2007

Good Questions

May I ask a couple questions?

I begin the new year by honoring the Roman god, Janus and his heavenly hosts, right? That is where we get the name January. But maybe, if not outloud, at least in my heart I can find a name that is more holy for this month. After all, God commanded His people not to honor or worship the planets, stars and zodiac signs.

Maybe doing that would be awkward or impossible, but here's my other question:

Is the name Janus in any way related to the name Jannes? As I write January on my checks, could I also be aligning myself with the likes of an Egyptian with a similar name, 'Jannes'?

The Apostle Paul in II Timothy 3:7-9 picked on Jannes and his fellow wizard, Jambres. These were the two sorcerers who 'withstood Moses', the man of God, and tried but failed to discredit him. Paul compares the two of them to men who are “ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

“Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, ... men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men...”

It’s not smart to withstand Moses, I am thinking. But whether the two names are related or not I don't know. But I do know this, that I felt kind of out of place as I watched a million people in red hats dance last evening in Times Square as a ball dropped.

Maybe I am not of this world. And maybe God has a better way for me to view the month of January, or the whole year…or life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home