Newfie Days
I just received a letter from someone in Newfoundland who found our names on a list of people involved in the beginnings of Faith Bible Chapel in St. John's. They want our reminiscences.
Wow, this brings back the memories.....
Bob and I were newly married and far from home back then. Though difficult, it was an exciting five years. A free time of doing as we pleased. I worked in the medical labs and he went to med school. But before he was accepted in medicine, he was part of a Master's program studying marine biology.
We spent a lot of time climbing on rocks and hanging from cliffs overlooking rocky crags with the most wonderful blueberries in Canada within reach, or not! I recall reaching for some in rather dangerous spots. We would sit in the lazy sunshine and dangle our feet high above the water and watch the jellyfish far below. The Newfoundland sky was clearest blue on those days. when it was grey and mouzy we would head for the library.
Some days we'd wade in tidal pools and scoop up sea creatures. Other days we'd fish for huge cod and fill the freezer with them. I recall another blustery, gray day fishing from the rocky shoreline. Bob's line was caught and pulled out to sea by something obviously very strong and large. It went spinning out from his pole, and then his pole went flying from his hand. Soon after that a giant squid was caught and on display in the laboratory down in Logy Bay by the rocky shoreline.
When he was accepted into Medical school, we stayed on for 4 more years. The hours were long and the money was scant. The folks at Faith Bible Chapel looked out for us kids, and before we left the island, our precious first daughter, Heather Anne, was born there.
Now Heather Anne is having her own adventures with her dear husband Victor, only they are in New York. But this one thing is the same. She is expecting their first little one. Again far from Mom and Dad, but I am sure far more capable and mature than we were back in the day. They also have Janie and Justin living in the same building.
The apple don't fall far from the tree, I guess. God bless my dear children so far away from us. I know He does and will, but I still miss them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home