Blow Yo' Head Off
Our trips downtown to visit with the homeless have been exciting as we watch God 'arrest' folks on their way to hell. This past Sunday there must have been 30 plus street people crammed into the Lancaster's kitchen praising God and with Bible's open, following along as David taught Romans 2. The anointing of God is really on him to bring the message so very down to earth and where the folks live.
I sat next to a youngish guy, bedecked in Mardi Gras beads. I'd met him smiling at the street church in the morning, but this past week he had been planning to kill someone. However, God stopped him, he came instead to see Amy and gave his bullets to her and David. I noticed another handsome young man in a dew rag seated behind me. I later heard that he too had given bullets to Amy this past week, and came to the Bible Study instead of killing someone.
The power of the risen Christ is awesome. I have felt we needed to teach very clearly God's word on killing, and not assume that everyone in the Bible Belt knows it is wrong. Amazing, but true.
A young woman named Vanessa was in the park too and looking sad. She explained that her boyfriend had been arrested and imprisoned for drunkennes. But the folks all around us said that it had to be more than that. I was glad she was not with him and pray she will get a job and go back to her mother. I called her during the week and she has a job at the food pantry. I do not know if her boyfriend is dangerous, but I am glad he is in jail.
Our friend AC had told me last Sunday that he wished a preacher would spell out what sin is, so he would know exactly. "Ain't nobody told you, you don' know what God expeks." He made the sign of shooting a gun and said, "Ah know you are not supposed to kill, Bang Bang!, but I just learned you are not supposed to hate someone! I don' want God to judge me and not know these things ahead o' time. The preachers need to tell us God's laws."
Well, I am sure the preachers have been telling them, but they have also given a mixed message of "we are not under the Law," which has confused a lot of folks. We are definitely not saved by our good deeds, but we most definitely were "created to do good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in." That is what has been lacking in much of our teaching and preaching - Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy.
The day before, I had begun writing a short book entitled, God's House Rules. I was glad to give AC a copy of the rough draft at the park on Sunday morning, along with a pair of reading glasses. In the evening he said he'd read it and found it helpful and understandable. AC dresses spiffy, ushers at a regular church now, and works hard at the homeless shelter.
Mr. "Many-questions" Tony also read a copy, and took exception to the part that reads, "adultery also includes looking at dirty pictures." When he assured AC and me that he loves the Lord, AC raised his eyebrows and shook his head. We both took exception to that.
Joseph was at the park again and looked bad. He had gotten drunk again and rolled into a fire and got badly burned on his chest. He seems to get himself into some serious scrapes, but has the gentlest face. I cannot wait to give him a copy of God's laws. I pray that he will know in his heart how precious he is to his heavenly Father, and want to obey him and be blessed.
He has prayed to accept Jesus, but, as they say, "Now what?"
I am very excited about the "Now What?" prospects for this little book in downtown Jackson. It is simply an explanation of the Ten Commandments in terms folks can relate to. It covers theft, killing, hatred, rough treatment of children (a cultural thing), incest, homosexuality, keeping your property tidy and safe, not prostituting yourself, drugs, shame, craziness, food, and lots more. All is taken from the Laws of God in the first books of the Bible and their further amplification throughout the Old Testament and in the mouth and lifestyle of the Lord Jesus and his apostles.
I'd like to get a copy into the hands... and heart of an elderly woman who pulled up along the curb the other day as Bob was walking to his car from the hospital. She leaned over and said to him, "Ah'm gonna blow yo' head off yo' shoulders." Bob said, "Well now, why would you want to do a thing like that?" She had some beef against a doctor, and soon drove on her way. Of course The hand of God is over Bob as he goes to work, and is upon all who go "downtown" in the Name of Jesus. Love is way stronger than fear.
People perish for lack of knowledge of the Way of the Lord, and obedience to it, but everywhere I turn people are "returning to Torah," to the law of the Lord and its accompanying blessings.
All glory to Him!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home