Monday, April 09, 2007

Do It Afraid

Last evening we went downtown too the "usual" Bible study and supper, only it was without our dear friends who live in the house. They were traveling along very dangerous, dusty roads of Mozambique, driving the kind of car which road thieves are stealing regularly, and going into an area where bombing and explosions have occurred. The people are homeless, just sitting in the sun with no food or water, and no medical help.

I pray, O Lord, your protection over them, and that they will accomplish everything you have in mind for them.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, so to speak, or the "little yellow House," other hazards were developing. The yard was filling with needy folks coming in for food and clothing and many who stayed for the Bible teaching. Maggie, who was in charge in their absence, took the mike and gave thanks, and the meal began.

Afterwards when we assembled for the meeting, a man, a big fellow seated behind me, began making racial statements that could have erupted into something.

I will not elaborate, but I refused fear and turned and smiled at him and said, "Aw, Sweetie, we love you and that's why we're here." His friend agreed with me, and when the big guy got up and stomped off, he shook his head. "I ain't gonna let no demon o' hell steal my blessing! God loves us ALL, no matter what color. These people are here to give us a chance, an' I'm glad for it."

Paul, the friendly, smiling man on the other side of him, began rocking back and forth in his yellow blanket. He began singing, "His eye is on the sparrow, and Ah know He watches me."

Our big friend approached the food table to rummage for some supper. A lady already there, stopped in her search and looked up to comment calmly, "In the name of Jesus, you evil spirit, shut up," and then proceeded about her business. I thanked her later, and we did the same thing a couple more times during the evening, going out of our way to offer the man cold drinks and a blanket.

Poor guy, he couldn't help the words coming out his mouth. Curious how those types keep coming back though. May the Spirit of God touch his life, as He has done for others.

When our evening was through, A.C. helped clean up as usual. He was last to leave and had a couple bags of clothes for the old lady next door him and a child in the neighborhood. He needed a drive to the other side of the graveyard to transport them all, so I was blessed to drive him to his apartment. Down back alleys, we stopped by a bar with folks standing around, and unloaded his stuff and he introduced me. He is such a dear guy, even though we caught him digging in the handout bags for extras of the soup cans I had brought.

Maggie is house sitting for the folks and answering the door, as needy friends come by for food and prayer. It was a faith stretch for me to leave her there last night, but she feels called to live among the poor, so wanted to stay on. The rest of the evening she spent dealing with a friend of ours who had come to the synagogue the night before for Bible teaching, but who this evening disappointed us and took several valium.

He had passed out on the grass and I covered his bare midriff from the cold temperatures before I left. I thought he'd be there all night, but later he woke to knock on the door. When he became confrontational, the Lord brought the neighborhood cleptomaniac (nice word for a thief) who distracted him with questions about his eternal soul.

After the unrest, Maggie had a word form God in Psalm3 about lying down and sleeping in the peace of God. I felt the peace too, and did not press her to come home. When I woke nervous at 2:30am, I prayed and bound spirits and asked God for the angels again.

This morning the kids who live in the little yellow house have arrived back from their grandma's for her to babysit till next weekend. We are glad she'll have company. Her challenges now include comforting and disciplining children who miss their mom and dad and are well aware of the dangers they are in.

As Maggie said, "Mom, if we cannot trust God in all this, what good is our faith? We just have to trust Him and do it afraid. And he WILL give His peace once we do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home