Friday, February 11, 2005

New Bedrooms

The time has come for Rob to move down the hall sleep in Maggie's vacated bed, at least until she comes home from college. So yesterday the boys and I lifted off the top bunk, which Peter repeatedly knocks his head on anyway.

We set it on the floor between the other two beds, and I asked them what next. James suggested we go back to Odessa and get his friend, the artist, to sleep in it. Peter thought we should get his little friend who limps. Way to break my heart, guys!

Those are the two I would go for, if I were going, except that there are three very sweet big boys, who will turn 16 this spring and age out of adoption. Oh, dear God!

After our experience with our two new boys, I am wondering what we were so scared of, adopting them. Did we really expect these darling kids to put strychnine down the well? Rachel Lynd warned Marilla Cuthbert that orphans were wont to do such things. Though Anne of Green Gables did not turn out to be that deadly, we still felt some apprehension sprinkled among our trust in God's goodness.

But when God has clearly spoken to you, I think it is best not to listen to Rachel Lynd's "horror stories" during the emotional rollercoaster of an adoption process. They do test your resolve though...I guess. It's just really important to "cast not away your confidence for it has great reward."

Well, we are at the point now, when, after 51 days, it feels more and more like our James and Peter just grew here. Until recently they have not been allowed free access to the attic, but yesterday they happily carted the dismantled bunk up the stairs and set it up. I told them they could go back up there later and dig through some extra paintings that had been temporarily rotated up there, to decorate their room, since Rob took his favorites down the hall with him.

They were very excited about the prospect, and later when no one else was around, James took my hand and led me up to make his choices. He selected a black and white print of a watercolor of The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, some country scenes, an automobile by Great Grandfather, a sketch of 888, the famous family homestead in Windsor, and a pencil drawing of a horse by Heather Anne at 15 years.

I think that what each boy is moved by is rather striking. When Peter had his turn, he grabbed for an old photo of Bob and me, another of me on our wedding day, Janie at age 4 or 5, and a decoupage of a peasant boy by Murillo. Peter is distinctly people oriented. People have the capacity for causing him great pain and great joy. In that respect he takes after his mother.

Yesterday he and James were talking about their respective 'mother stories'. Peter was downcast because he had no memories of a mother like James does, but James pointed out that when Peter came into the world, he really was born to be my son, and it was just a matter of time till that happenind.

I hope he was comforted because today in addition to having an earache, while trying to surprise me by vacuuming out the car, he konked his head on the backhatch. It didn't help that he had been whalloped in the jaw by a basketball a couple days ago.

He plays hard and lives and loves with all his heart.

1 Comments:

At February 14, 2005 at 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sylvia, What a joy to read your blog. The boys you are speaking of who have gotten too old, is one of them Artour? Our heart is very soft for that young boy. I just think he is to immature to be going out on the street. I have loved him for a very long time and we have been pen pals for several years. His birthday is April 18th so he will turn 16 before we get there. We continue to pray for him and anxiously watch to see what God will prevail in that young man's life. My prayer is that when we receive our girls in 95 days, but who is counting, that Chris and I will have wisdom with them as you have had with your new sons. Your instruction are always so sweet and full of Jesus. You have much wisdom on how to teach these boys. I enjoy your blog so much. Today Chris shed a tear as he read about the boys wanting their friends. What a challenge we have to face when we see all the children who need parents. Thank you for your dedication to this blog, please continue on. We are learning much.
Love, LuAnn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home