A Visit to School
On the walk across the driveway and into the school today, the boys reached for my hands. So I gave them the first three words of the verse they like: Jesus' words, "I am with...," and they finished it, "I am with you always."
We were a little bit nervous because today was the day we went in to shadow the fifth graders. The children in that class are some of the sweetest, and the teachers are excellent. Before the boys can go back there full time, though, we need to lay a little more foundation in phonics and spelling. I also discovered that they are rusty or behind in math. However, Bob has given us the beginning of March as the time to start them. So we will dig out the multiplication songs on tape and work hard till then.
Before Bob could set down his briefcase at the door tonight, the boys flung their arms around him and chattered about how they'd won the spelling bee - with a little help from everyone, and how they sat with new friends in the cafeteria at lunch, and about the rhythm they learned in Music class, and how they'd played floor hockey in P.E.
Peter told him how all the kids laughed at the joke he made in English, and James described how, "A girl look at me, when I read a book at my desk. She just look and look, and I hide in my book." (Gotta watch out for those Mississippi girls!)
At bedtime I extricated their arms and legs from around Rob's neck and body and off his back, where they were being carried both at once, and shooed them off to bed. Kneeling at the bedside they both thanked God for the "goo-od day".
Their faces must be sore from smiling, and they have asked to go back tomorrow.
Not so fast, but we will go in to the Valentine's day party on Monday.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home