Thursday, January 27, 2005

A Month Later

It is hard to believe that it has been a month and nine days since we came home with our boys. They are so dear and loving. Even when we have a little tmes of feeling sorry for themselves because something doesn't go their way, it doesn't last. Today I shared the story of Pilgrim's Progress with them. I explained that Jesus took all our burdens, bad thoughts, sins, and sadness on Himself when He died. They were very attentive.

After I had drawn a Cross at a crossroads Peter took the pencil and revised the picture to show one road heading downward to some black scribbles and one heading upwards. So we put clouds of glory at the end of that road and I wrote CHOOSE at the top of the page. I know ultimately it is God who draws them to Himself, but the freedom to choose daily between Happy and Gloomy means letting Jesus give you His joy or not.

James listened carefully with wide eyes fixed on me and, after having had a gloomy morning, changed to the point where he was hugging me and very solicitous and helpful. When I had a short rest on the couch, he came and covered me with an afghan and Peter turned out the lights.

They are now telling stories on the front porch rockers. The other night was the evening Bob and I used to go for Date Night before the boys came. When Maggie called from college offering to babysit if we'd go out for a date, we took her up on it and told the boys what we were doing. They got all silly and excited, and talking about "kissy kissy', and James set up two rockers out where we could see the full moon.

Today Bob came home for lunch and we four sat and chatted at the table, the boys doing very well indeed with their English. They discussed sports and the future plans for them to sign up for basketball and soccer at school. At one point Bob mentioned "as your English gets better and better."

James looking puzzled. Then he said, "Excuse me, Dad, what is this "better and better". I am thinking you say my English is bad and bad." Bob corrected him and explained comparatives and superlatives, "good, better, best" and "bad, worse, and worst". At another point James teased Bob when he referred to their new German grandmother as Oma. Oma in Russian means stepmother. James said, "Oh, Dad, Remember, only English at the table!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home