Sunday, February 27, 2005

"My Life"

When I grow to be a man I will write a book about my life," announced James while we were cleaning up from Sunday dinner. Bits and pieces of his story have been coming out, but he would like to tell into a tape recorder what he knows of his parents and early life and then on up to the present.

I said he could start on it now and I could transcribe it and help him with his English. He thinks maybe people will read it, and maybe they could go and get a little child who is hungry and lonely like he was. "I sometimes cried in my bed at nighttime," he said, "because I had nobody to love me. God loved me, but I wanted a person in this world."

I hope he begins the book soon so I can publish it as part of this blog. I know there are people out there who would like to give a lonely child a family, but don't know how. There are far too many beautiful children crying in the nighttime. Some are on the streets or in doorways, or curled up in a dark corner of a cafe like James.

Maybe his story will introduce us to his friends who live in a massive old orphanage left over from Soviet days, with its long, dimly lit hallways. Children would rather wet in their beds than go down those hallways at night. And they often do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home