Monday, January 22, 2007

"Quiet Times"

Things are so busy in the mornings, but I am absolutely determined that I will give my boys a tool for life in the midst of the rush. They may not want it, but they don't want to brush their teeth either or wear deodorant or do homework. They don't always WANT to sweep the back porch after the dog has brought in a big stick and chewed it to bits. They many not WANT to clean up the kitchen, or take vitamins.

I recall feeling pressured as a kid about this issue. But 50 years later I am still grateful that my folks instilled in me this good habit of quietude. Maybe it was the way they commanded it of me that made me rebel, maybe I did not sense any need for it because my happy little life was so good.... Or....maybe I didn't like it because of my stubborn little heart.

Anyway, I have sweated over this as a parent because I wanted it to be Real for my kids. I have fought with the thought, They are going to hate this. And no doubt my older kids did. Though my motives were right, I did a lot of things wrong.

But, poorly or well, I have persevered every day for the last couple years with our new boys and Rob. The big difference, though, has been that I have kept praying minute by minute in the mornings. I ask for God's sweet Spirit to land on us, while I lead the way and walk them through it. And He has come.

On some especially groggy days, I have had to quietly but firmly enforce the Be On Time, or Forfeit Your Allowance or Thursday Hot Lunch Money rule.

Until now. Now I think finally we have something that seems to be rolling on its own steam.

Finally this morning, without my saying anything, the boys each went to his own quiet corner in the family room. Peter the early bird, the first one out, stationed himself with earphones on, at the computer with an audio reading. James went to a corner of the couch with his new, daily devotional from Voice of the Martyrs, and Rob sitting straight and obedient, found his spot on the loveseat with a One Year Bible.

I think it going all right because James wanted the family to hear the Extreme Faith story from his book. Peter has an internal love for God and Mom which propells him forward in God. And today Rob challenged me regarding something he had read.

After reading Matthew 15 he laughed and told me Jesus said we don't have to wash our hands before eating!! I explained that it was a traditional ritual washing invented by rabbis and accompanied by special blessings, which Jesus was exempting His disciple from, not God's holy Law!

So we press onward. I tell them someday God will holdtheir mother accountable for whether she gave them the tools to live by. Later if they depart from it, that is their and God's business, but while they are under my roof, I will teach them "the way they should go." If they don't want to go to church, then when they get their license they can find a different church. But they must go. So far it is working.

This is a very hard thing. Parenting is a very hard thing. But then Jesus never promised us a rose garden. He just said, "Come unto me all who labor and are heavy burdened and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from ME for I am gentle and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Oh, hope in the Lord, for He gives such joy and rewards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home