Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rob's interaction with his dad was always mellow, like Rob - and Bob. But now with two additional boys in the two digit age bracket, this woman is treading where she has never trod before.

Tonight I yelled.

I loudly declared, "I don't want hitting in this house! You just can't do that!"

Oh,no?? Three growing boys, and no hitting? I don't think so, Lady.

Someone rescued me from my delusions of sweetness-and-light the other day by calmly telling me that boys are physical. Well, I know, but with a ready-mix pack of teenage boys, it is requiring a 'paradym shift' for me. My girls and I always related with our emotions, while guys seem to relate with motions.

Peter had had a hard day at school, and I think it spilled over. So he told James several times that the model ship he was building was not pretty. I did not hear it, but I did catch Rob's even voice warning me, "Mom, let James handle it." As I feared, James handled it. Just as I was walking through the bedroom door, he pounded Peter one good one in the shoulder.

That was my cue to forget reason and godly self control, and instead yell. Then I sent myself to my room and prayed for the Lord to come and restore order. I know enough that He always hears those prayers, and after a short wait for the dove to find a resting place in the muddy flood waters, I went and asked James to come to the family room.

Peter had suddenly fallen asleep in his bed, as if God had waved a hand over him. His mouth was open in mid holler, and his head was thrown back on the pillow. Rob heard me ask James to come out, and he meandered nonchallantly out of his room to join us by the fireplace.

While Peter snored on, God gave us a wonderful talk together. Rob and I were treated to a very mature side of James, who told us story after story in very humorous and touching manner of orphanage life, how the kids looked out for themselves and each other and how they'd bounce back from altercations. His cute demeanor set me smiling and realizing that we weren't doing so badly after all.

With amazing equanimity, the two big brothers shared with this unclued mother how boys relate. When I told them to relax their watchful duties over Peter enough to have fun, they asked me to release them to handle some of the interactions with Peter as the need arose, in their own way. In other words, "Mom look the other way while we teach Kid Brother."

Listening to them talk I was really touched. These are good boys. Each one told me he prays for Peter every night. Then each of them prayed right there out loud, Rob for Peter to grow and mature and become more socially aware, and James that Peter would learn to trust him and allow him to instruct him in the way he should go.

Their daddy would be proud. Soon he'll be getting home from his conference and into bed, where I can give him his vitamins and a backrub. May God strengthen him, exhausted and alone in a hotel room far from home. I want to go and get him because he is so fatigued. I am concerned for his heart, but I know God is too, so it's ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home