Out In the Sticks
Don't laugh if you are from Mississippi. After two plus years I am still just catching on.
Last evening was the final football game of the season, and Bob being in New York at a Continuing Medical Ed conference, I was the designated driver for James and Peter and me. Although it would be dark driving in the country, I was of a mind to take the guys to see Rob's Jr. Varsity and the Varsity teams combined play one last time under the big lights.
So, armed with our map, a flashlight, and sketchy directions a Mississippian friend had dashed off for me, we packed a lunch of sandwiches, bottled water and the ever favorite, apples. We could not follow the bus because the team had left on that hours ago, so we turned down our back road and onto the highway near us. As we headed east, the road became darker and darker, and the headlights coming towards us fewer and farther between.
Above, the stars were as thick as Abraham's, and if we weren't on our way somewhere I should have stopped at the roadside just to gaze a while. Wow, I have still not figured out the Southern night sky. Just when I find the Southern Cross, the sky turns and I lose it again. I told the boys, you look and I'll drive.
Soon we spotted our turnoff and our journey turned northward. Occasionally after going through a strip of pitch black, we would pass a lighted gas station or country store, but never the Fish Restaurant that we were told to watch for. Farther and farther we drove without seeing the little road that supposedly led to the school.
After many miles of darkness and the occasional local truck, whizzing past us against a solid line on a curve, I finally suggested we pull to the roadside and turn around. No sooner said than we noticed the shoulders on our road had disappeared and the darkness around us had become slightly shiny. We were on a causeway undoubtedly spanning the huge man-made reservoir that collects water for the Jackson area.
"I think we've missed it, boys. I am sorry," I confessed. "I just don't think the school is this far." "Mom, call Miss Nancy," suggested James. "We can do it. We can all things."
So I did, and she encouraged me, "Hey, girl, you're on the raht road. Just keep comin'. When you see the lahts of the stadium yonder to the left, the school road will be there." She laughed, and we hung up.' Haha to you too, I thought.
Well, shore nuff, after what seemed like a long time, there was the fish restaurant and the "big curve" just as my directions had said. Only trouble was they'd failed to mention the fifty or so miles in between!
Next, to find the road to the school. Well, we missed it at first shot because it was rather woodsy and had no lights. Futhermore...the letters on the sign were only about an inch high. But, hey, Ah should consider maself blest it had a sign. Real Mississippians don't need road signs 'cause everyone in the state knows where everywhere is. Blank stares at you northerners.
Gotta love this crazy place.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home