Little Dima's Back
Meanwhile back in Ukraine, little Dima the lame child who keeps running away is back at the Home for Invalids. He was taken there kicking and screaming, so to speak, because he kept running away from the other orphanage. The reason he ran away from the regular internot is because he overheard someone say they were going to transfer him to the invalid house!
Our dear missionary friend will visit him there this Saturday, and I will tell you what she sees there. She has asked that I pray he is still there when she comes. I also ask for the same prayer, and one beyond that...that some parents would step forward for this little boy.
Taking a child like this sounds scary, but it isn't really. Jesus' yoke is easy and His burden is light. We find great rest in our souls when we quietly and humbly learn from Him how to parent right, no matter who our child is. I am daily amazed at the presence of Jesus touching and affirming me in what I do as a mommy. And I am no way smarter than anyone else.
I know not everyone can take in a child. But it is not a matter of wanting a child or not wanting a child. It is a posture of Welcoming a child and seeing what God may do. Whoever Welcomes these little ones like Dima welcomes Jesus Himself. Whoever takes in an orphan practices true religion, which is defined as helping widows and orphans. The poor are dear to the heart of the Lord Jesus. He takes note and He lends a helping hand in the caring for these precious people. Mother Theresa didn't burn out. She just flowed in the Spirit of the risen Christ.
Why can't we do the same? Yes, there are problems, but as I shared with a couple in Wal-mart today, whose little 4 month old boy was wearing glasses from a forcept injury, "all it does is give God another chance to do more miracles. He says he can, and He says he will." When I said that, the mother's eyes brightened and she smiled. Then they both told how God had already given them one miracle after 17 years of marriage - this little guy.
Yep, God is well...God, and if He really can't do anything about it, maybe He isn't God after all. Or.. maybe we just don't really truly believe in Him.
I just know somewhere there is somebody who would get a huge thrill out of having Dima's arms flung around their neck before bed each night, just like our 12 and 13 year olds still do to me after a year here. It doesn't get any better than this. It would be no different with Dima. I bet you it would be even moreso with a desperate little guy like him.
Yesterday I turned 59. Ten years ago they told Bob and me we were too old to adopt. But ten years later we are just fine. Go figure. With God all kinds of fun miracles are possible.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home