Sunday, February 05, 2006

Nothing Shall Hurt You

As I dashed through the garage on my way to pick up the boys from school, I paused to check the little barometer Peter had set up for his science fair project. He'd constructed it from a peanut butter jar with a piece of balloon stretched across the top.

I was surprised. The plastic straw he had taped to the balloon had dipped down a tiny bit, as indicated by the marker he had set up.

Why? It was a sunny, warmish day. A few clouds were in the sky, but I hadn't noticed a hint of bad weather coming. Yet I knew that a falling barometer can mean just that; even subtle changes can be a sign of significant weather.

Driving to the school proved I was right, The sky over the city was a dirty gray, and the edge of the gray was rapidly coming our way. I hopped out of the car to herd the boys as quickly as possible, but had to go up to the school entrance looking for Peter.

As I did so, a sudden gust of wind whipped out of nowhere, and several large trash cans by the janitor's door clunked over and began rolling, blocking my path. Voices of children were rising in excited calls, and parents scurried to their cars.

A friend's voice called to me through the wind, "Big stuff is coming. Gulf ball sized hail." "Thank you," I called back, "We need to rebuke this!"

I got the boys in the car, and as we drove home we watched the sky do amazing things above the 'moor' on our country road. The clouds were rolling fast, smokey gray masses, lowering such as we'd never seen. I kept hearing in my mind the words of one of the teachers, who had said above the wind, "It's like Acts 2:19, wonders in the sky above and blood and fire and vapor of smoke."

I don't know if these scary wonders in the sky above signified something spiritual. They certainly didn't look like the majestic Coming of the Lord Jesus in His bright clouds of glory.

These were evil looking. And sons and daughters of God do not take kindly to evil. Like Gandalf raising his big staff and planting it firmly in the path of that huge fire-breathing monster, we too have authority to say, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

So, once at the house, we quickly got out of the car. Above us the sky was boiling. I shouted up at it, "We are children of God! You, weather system, you shall not harm us or our neighborhood! You shall go only as far as God Almighty allows you, no further."

I guess I tend to think, unless God impresses upon me otherwise, that things that break windshields, crack tall pines so they smash houses and start fires, are not the will of our gracious Heavenly Father.

That, indeed, even if we did sin and open our lives to such things, we can still repent. "The righteous cry and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles," and "the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son cleanses us from all sin." God will go out of His way to bless us, not hurt us.

Later when things calmed down, and I was jogging happily away at the fitness place, the ladies got talking about the storm. Down the highway from us it had dropped hail, but in our area it didn't amount to much. One girl I'd never seen before piped up, "When things like that come, I just say, 'Get behind me, satan!' I figure if Jesus can talk like that, we can too.'"

I agree. He said, "I give you authority over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall indeed hurt you."

1 Comments:

At February 10, 2006 at 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on the barometer, Peter!

I also wanted to let him know hom much the cats LOVE the beanbag he sent Ed for Christmas. I think they really like the way it sounds. Now to get them to quit rustling it about in the middle of the night!

- Steph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home