At Least It Ain't Boring
I recall one day as a child deep in the heart of summer vacation, that I was bored for a moment. That was back before soccer and horseback riding camps and all. Day after lovely long day, we children used to do a few jobs, then read books and listen to the bees buzz.
We could amuse ourselves by lying on an old blanket under the maple tree, or riding a bike eating an apple. I recall my big sister waking me at 5:00 one morning to go outside with her and hunt for dew covered spiders’ webs.
But my favorite pastime next to organizing a neighborhood circus, or collecting worms after a rainstorm and selling them to Mom for her garden, was climbing a tree and looking over the neighborhood. The Chinese elm in our backyard was nice and high, but the top of our cherry tree was great too, because I could jump from there onto the garage roof. Boredom was never a part of our lives.
However, I'm not sure why, but for that one instant the word "bored" floated into my childish mind. I can’t imagine where I’d heard it, and since then with my own kids it has always been a "naughty word." I have told them that if you’re walking with the Lord, you don’t get bored.
When it came to mind, I remember what I immediately did. I grabbed a pencil and piece of paper and numbered it down the page. That was the beginning of my first "List of Things to Do."
That is where it all began, kids. Sorry. I believe "The Job List" also was born that day. And it has remained a part of my life all these years. Remember, Steph and Jane, when in your teens you immortalized it?
Steph, you dramatically swept over to the piano and extemporaneously composed, while Janie crooned the lyrics to the brand new hit song, "The Job List." I snuck up on you guys and held a tape recorder around the corner, while you went on verse after melancoly verse. Hah! I still have that tape. It is hilarious.
Well, yes, lists… We are busy making lists these days. After Dad got back from Chicago, where he had the heart attack, and then had the stents put in, he has recovered and is doing great. A couple jobs offers came from Michigan and Ohio, and he has decided to continue the dialed back, three-day-a-week work schedule by signing on with Detroit Medical Center doing locum tenens, which is something like substitute teaching, working whenever you want.
So...
I am making lists. Bennie the Painter is here and sober, seriously touching up the walls, and we will have a garage sale to end all garage sales. And an appraiser will come in to give us a price on the house.
Soon I shall cry piteously over the dear friends who have been my joy, my comfort and prayer support these three years.
And once again (for the sixteenth time) we will stuff our earthly possessions into a big truck, think how nice it would be if maybe the truck got lost and we didn't have to unpack it, but trusting God to go with us and be there for us as we Start Over in a new place.
Only this new place will be the old place, in the old house, which Em and Chad have been caring for while we were down here, "just in case we should move back." Back in Michigan we will be near our near-and-dear family, and that will be oh, so good.
Like it or not, there is never a boring moment at our house.

1 Comments:
Sylvia, you are a great writer and i enjoy reading your blog. You have a "southern writing style" to my way of thinking. Thanks! Cynthia
Post a Comment
<< Home