The Weather in Sri Lanka
If you had asked me a couple months ago if I knew or cared what the weather was like in Sri Lanka, I would have scratched my head at you, but here I am adding it to my "Favorites".
I will just give you Maggie's off-the-top-of-her-head-excited journaling for those of you who are interested. We have not yet heard from her final destination, Galle, where she will work with the Word Made Flesh team among the "poorest of the poor". The plan is to do some building there. Why else would she pack her hammer. :)
Here she is, as of Monday, July 19....
Hey guys!
I am finally in Sri Lanka and I don't think I have ever been so happy to be anywhere before. It is so so beautiful. The weather is pretty much the same as Mississippi right now. The flight over was uh....long. We had a ten hour layover in Hong Kong so Julie and I made our escape and took an express into town for a couple hours. It was...interesting. I failed to take several things into account before leaving the airport. First of all 36 degree centigrade isn't really the same as fahrenheit. no...not at all. secondly. Everyone is Chinese and oddly enough, they all speak and write Chinese too.I don't. need I say more? anyways It was pretty much a really big really confusing really expensive city that I don't have much of a desire to go back to. But I did get a stamp in my passport, which is always exciting. Anyways, we arrived last night in colombo and were met by a nice looking smily little man who took us to a funny looking little van and began drove us to our hotel about an hour away. Ooooh my goodness. I've never been on a roller coaster but I seriously don't think they could be any different from driving in Sri Lanka. There is one road rule:honk. And I'm not kidding. lanes and such are suggested but not really paid attention to. anyways, finally the the man turned into a skinny alley and stopped by the gate of Tropical Inn where we met up with girl under whom we will be working. This morning we had breakfast which consisted of papaya and a little banana looking thing and lots and lots of tea and toast. after breakfast was orientation. the gist of that was that bugs are sadistic creatures with tiny black souls whose goal in life is to destroy the human race. but of course, after living in Mississippi for two year, i know that already. anyways, We are going to be taking a taxi from where ever we are right now to Galle after exchanging our money. The taxis that I have seen are these weird looking little three wheeled scooter trucks called tuktuks...i guess thats a good way of describing it. I hope we get to ride in one. :D They all drive on the wrong/right/left (however you want to say it) side of the road so that makes it all the more exciting, not to mention the million of little motor bikes that seem to be more numerous than mosquitos and drive more eratically. Ok its time to sign off. I hope you are all well. Do write personal emails. I might not get to read them all but its still nice to see you write. God bless.
mimi/maggie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home