Trust
Yesterday as we drove to the ice park to have a skate, I shared with the boys that my friend was learning to trust God with a detached retina.
James said, "Oh, Mom, you have to trust in God! When I lived on the street, one time someone called me a bad name that means 'cross-eyed' in Russian and poked his finger in my good eye, I just rubbed my hand over my eye and I could see again." God took care of me. Peter agreed, "Someone asked me if a man bit off my ear in a fight, and that hurt my feelings. "Oh, Mom," he said in a voice filled with awe, "You have to trust in God. You have to believe. Wifout Him you can do nuffing."
They are learning to trust people too. God has been so very kind in providing a headmistress at school who listens to God, and two teachers who pray and teach the kids with loving authority. When they first went to school, the boys thought the teachers were out to get them, and that their correction meant they didn't love them. Peter's little outbursts of self protection have passed, though, and at 3:00 every day both he and James bounce to the car smiling.
They continue to learn to trust us and each other at home also. I explain that, just as trust between a person and God is the basis for that relationship, so it is the basis of human relationships. I have always left my purse out, and they trust us by leaving their precious allowance money out. They even help count each other's money.
The other day Peter was stomping because he could not find his sports water bottle. He told me, "Somebody stole it." I stopped him and held him for a minute and whispered, "Peter, this is a Jesus family in God's Kingdom. The King says, 'You shall not steal.' So who do you think stole it? Dad? me? Rob? James?"
He sank down in my arms, and said, "I'm sorry, Mom." I said, "OK, then, Let's ask God where it is." We did and opened our eyes to see the thing sitting on the counter about a yard away.
Currently we are undergoing some uncertainty with Bob's job change. Though we have not shared it with the kids, they sense it. Yesterday at skating, I stopped to tie the skates of a tiny, black girl with a named that sounded like Lasagna. Peter became clingy, and James said he was tired and wanted to go home now. I gave the little girl to Peter, who, red faced, sweetly took her hand and off they went. I took James' hand and he showed me how fast he could go. We all skated happily another half hour.
However, last night James reverted to an old habit of control, staying awake and alert in his bed till early morning. This morning the other bed needed its sheets changed, something I haven't done for a couple months.
When "the righteous cry...the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their affliction," so I am confident this too shall pass. God is always with us in difficult and fun times, and He always has answered, and always will meet our every need. People who love us can pray though.
Perfected love casts out fear and insecurity, replacing it with faith and trust.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home