Church Without Walls
This morning Magggie and I and Peter got up early and headed downtown to the park where Jackson's homeless folks sleep and hang out. As we parked we heard our friends ahead of us adjusting the microphone that would soon be waking those who were still dozing under newspapers on the park benches.
In a few minutes we joined twenty or thirty who were already there getting their coffee and singing, "I'll fly away, O glory." After the preaching and a testimony, we had the privilege of passing out breakfast to the folks and praying for anyone who asked.
Maggie shared a hymnbook with a dear man who had no feet inside his pantlegs, and I know Jesus stood by as I laid a hand on the overall bib of a big, strong, black man with gray hair. He was going to Vicksburg and wanted prayers to get there safely.
I wonder if Jesus slept right there in that pavillion where Jen and her husband had curled up to sleep last night. It says in Hebrews that Jesus praises His Father among His friends and brothers, and today I felt Him there.
His Presence was stronger than when I am dressed up and in a church with walls.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home