Friday, May 19, 2006

Coversation with Mia

I woke the other morning to the bump, bump, bump of my little granddaughter's feet pounding the hardwood floor in the downstairs of our Michigan house.

Mia wakes up chatting and goes to sleep chatting, so it was no surprise that, when I whispered over the railing to her to come upstairs to Grammy's bed, she eagerly grabbed the bannister and climbed up. I raced her back to my bed, so I could pull the covers over my head and jump out when she came in.

Giggling, we snuggled in for an interesting conversation about the big thunderstorm that came through our area the night before. "I am scared of thunder, Grammy," she informed me."

"Oh," I said. "You shouldn't be, it's only God walking around."

Her eyes got wide. "Yeah, you know how your feet go bump, bump, when you come down the hall? Well, His feet are really big so they make very big bumping and rumbling when He walks."

Now I am not sure this is any more theologically or factually correct than the Da Vinci Code or Santa Claus, but it got us both thinking.

She looked at me and asked, "Grammy, why doesn't He come down here?"

Hmm, now I could get factual. "Actually He did," I said, "but don't be scared, because He turned into a little baby first. Then He came."

He did?" she asked, her eyes wider than ever.

"Yep, you are not afraid of a tiny baby like Will, are you?"

"No! she laughed.

"Well, God didn't want to you be scared so He became a baby too."

"Can we touch Him?"

"His mommy and family and lots of people got to touch him. Just like you can pat Will's arm, they could touch God. Cool, eh?"

"Yeah, we can touch Him," she smiled and snuggled closer under the blankets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home