Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Thursday

So much happens so fast around here that I never finished my story. It seems I can spend only 30 seconds on this computer without getting interrupted. It has been a few years since that was an ordinary part of life, so it is taking some adjustment. I love it though.

Anyway, Victoria came home after church and we sat down with the boys for the Big Discussion. Bob put it to them that fistfights were not allowed in our house and that making fun or bad mouthing was not either. He asked them whether or not they liked being here or if the internot was better. They were certain they liked this better.

During the afternoon, Bob went out and stood near James fishing. In minutes James was his old, sweet self. Next morning when we went over our verse "Be kind to one another, tender- hearted, forgiving one another," it was he who explained the word forgive. "If somebody pow-pow you. They say, "I'm sorry." You say, "Eet's ok."

Since then we have had only one little snit per day, where one decided not to greet his big sister pleasantly in the morning. When asked to, he turned and marched away flinging his slippers across the room, and as he did so, treated us to a Russian phrase we are glad was in Russian. Thankfully, I am quick on my feet, and within seconds he received his swift, due reward.

That quickly cleared the air, and soon things were humming along splendidly. That is until the other brother decided he wanted to do his schoolwork on his own, and not come to the kitchen, where Mom could watch him. This time it was my turn to have a discussion about pouting. I explained that that was for babies, and that they were 11 and 12. When I told Dad's story about the boy who pouted and a bird came and sat on his lower lip, they laughed.

Occasionally now, when the opportunity arises to use that old attention-seeking devise, they stop, and one or the other will say with a big grin and in a super sweet voice, "Yes, Mom, I weel." They even explained to Victoria how they are to answer Mom, and she reinforced it. It is amazing what a happy difference this is making. I think it is a new concept to them, and it will likely take a number of morning encounters before they get it completely. But that's ok. With bulldog perseverance and the Presence of Jesus we can do "all things."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home